Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ramblin'

David (my Aussie colleague) was kind enough to let me rip J.J. Cale on to my hard drive. J.J. Cale! Gold! Two CD's! Why?! Isn't that country?! No. Well: let's just say I've never come more close. I have two songs in my collection that feature a kind of (dare I say the F-word).... fiddle. One by Nora Jones and one by J.J. Cale.

Now don't be frightened: I'm not rushing out to add Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt (you look 'em up) to my collection just yet. But J.J. was inevitable really. I've been a hardcore-ish Steely Dan fan since before they added trombones to their line-up. They fade in their slide guitar-like sounds with great stealth. But they are there nonetheless.

Then there's Eric Clapton. Used to play some hefty R&B. No stranger to country-ville either. And he made Cale's 'Cocaine' and 'After Midnight' into hits and habits. Also proving beyond reasonable doubt that at the core of Cale's tunes is a bluesy, rootsy boogie. Very contagious. Especially with J.J.'s laid back drooling vocals and immaculate but rambling guitar style.

But no apologies: I am a real country bumpkin now. Yeeeeehaw! According to the Thais I'm as hick as heck. All red earth and BBQ. I live in Khon Kaen, where the pickup trucks roam near the buffalo's home. I guess J.J. is a prefect fit.

[Before some of you music-heads start emailing me: Yes, I do realize Ramblin' On My Mind is by Robert Johnson and not by J.J. Cale and that Eric Clapton played it too. The title is not a reference to that.]

No comments: